Read our Lake County, IL Blogs

Tuesday, March 4, 2008
An evening at the Genesee Theatre
It was blustery and cold last Thursday evening as I made my way through downtown Waukegan towards the Genesee Theatre. A few years back, a friend and co-worker of mine had told me about how he and his daughter had enjoyed seeing Rain- The Beatles Experience, a band that dresses as The Beatles during various phases of their career and plays their hits, and recommended that I check them out. Although I've been an almost life-long fan of The Beatles' music, part of me has always been a little skeptical about seeing a cover band perform interpretations of the songs that I love; I guess I've always thought along the lines of "if it isn't broke, don't try to fix it". I had been meaning for some time to see the recently renovated Genesee, however, and when I saw that Rain was scheduled to play there, I remembered my friend's praise and decided to see for myself what they were all about.
Although I've been a Lake County resident for most of my life, I had never been inside the theatre, and I was immediately impressed upon entering. Exquisite crystal chandeliers lit the way through expansive corridors with beautifully engraved ceilings. I marveled at the intricate floral pattern on the carpeting, which the theatre brochure informed me was the original design used in the 1920's. The floral theme was mirrored by the ceiling carvings, which displayed a unique craftsmanship not often seen these days. Everything around me contributed to a beautiful vintage aesthetic, and although I had no prior image of the theatre to compare to, my opinion was and is that the restoration was masterfully done. The biggest visual treat, however, hung from the ceiling of the Grand Lobby in the form of an 18-foot Baccarat crystal chandelier, composed of thousands of individual crystals that cast a pleasing glow on the surrounding scenery.
I strolled past the burgundy seats below the balcony and soaked in the ornate decor as excited concert-goers filed in around me. Although most of the audience looked as though they had grown up listening to The Beatles, there were many people in their twenties and thirties, and even a fair amount of younger kids who looked as though they had recently discovered the band through their parents. I settled into my seat and admired the decorations around me- artfully-sculpted columns holding stacks of speakers book-ended the stage, while a golden eagle and an elaborately carved crest with a silver face looked down from overhead. The lights dimmed, and a movie screen appeared showing footage of The Beatles, including a quote from Ringo about how The Beatles will live on after the band is gone. The screen disappeared, the stages lights came on, and the curtain lifted to reveal a strikingly familiar set from the Ed Sullivan show, as four young men in suits played a perfect version of "I Want to Hold Your Hand", much to the delight of the cheering audience. The instruments flowed out crystal-clear from the speakers and filled the acoustics of the auditorium beautifully. The group segued effortlessly through "Hard Day's Night" and a couple of other classics from the period before the curtain came down on the applauding crowd.
After a moment's intermission, the curtain was back up and we were serenaded by the band outfitted in the apparel made famous by The Beatles' popular concert at Shea Stadium. A few hits from the era were played, most notably an excellent cover of "Day Tripper" that had the the crowd cheering and clapping along. Another set brief set change found us gazing upon a display of fantastically psychedelic lights and a kaleidoscopic backdrop as the band launched into the introduction to "Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band", dressed in full regalia from the album. The stage was bathed in blues, yellows, and purples as the band belted out more hits from the time period. Mist rolled in gentle waves across the stage floor, further seducing us into thinking that we were back in the 1960's. The background shifted to footage of clouds moving through a blue sky as the band performed the monumental "A Day in the Life", and for a brief moment the experience was so authentic that I forgot that I was watching a cover band. After the song ended, the curtain came down for a brief intermission, and I could tell from the smiling faces around and above me that I wasn't the only one being treated to an entertaining show. With the lights back on my eyes once again traced over the ornamental atmosphere, and I noticed the decoratively painted wreaths around the base of the chandeliers. The lights went back down and the curtain came back up, and the band launched into "Hello, Goodbye" to the cheers of the audience, then continued with more favorites from the era like "I Am the Walrus" and "Mother Nature's Son".
The lights carried a more sober tone as the lead guitarist came forward to play a great rendition of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps", earning a standing ovation from the crowd. Another brief intermission and we were greeted by The Beatles circa Abbey Road playing a smooth cover of "Come Together". The audience applauded and clapped along to remakes of "Get Back", "Revolution", and "Give Peace a Chance", before "Golden Slumbers" and "The End" seemed to signal the show's finale. After much applause from the crowd, however, the band re-took the stage to treat us to "Imagine", "Let it Be", and a closing tribute of "Hey Jude" that had the whole theatre on our feet. The show was officially over, and we filed back through the lobby beneath the chandeliers. Once again I felt the sensation of time-travel, this time from the 1960's to the elegant 1920's. As I stepped out into the modern day, the night air off of the lake was chilly but refreshing. Reflecting back on the evening, I rated the total experience as top-notch, and vowed to keep an eye on the theatre's list of upcoming attractions for an opportunity to return.

[+/-] click to show/hide this post

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eloquently written, sir. I'll look forward to reading your future blogs. Keep up the good work.

March 6, 2008 at 8:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home