Read our Lake County, IL Blogs

Tuesday, January 1, 2008
Winter Wonderland Express at Chicago Botanic Garden
It was a cold day in mid-December when I decided to take a trip to the Chicago Botanic Garden to explore some of their exhibits. I know that December sounds like a strange time to be checking out different types of flowers, trees, and other plants, but don’t be fooled – After visiting, I can see how their indoor displays are enough to attract visitors year-round. With a wide assortment of trees, Christmas wreaths, greenhouses, and even a “Winterland Express” room showcasing Chicago’s historic landmarks, there is still plenty of foliage to check out, despite the bitter cold. In order to get to the Regenstein Center which housed many of these displays, I left the lobby area and took a brief walk outside through the gardens. As I strolled through, the plants were covered with snow and were surrounded by dozens of pine trees with festive Christmas lights. As the tour guide mentioned, once the weather warms up again, the gardens will be blossoming with all types of exotic flowers, providing a whole new venue of outdoor exhibits. When I first arrived at the newly-remodeled Regenstein Center, I decided to explore some of the greenhouse displays. My first stop was at the tropical greenhouse, which showcased all types of exotic palm trees and other tropical shrubbery. While wandering through, I came across a huge banana tree with a cluster of green bananas shooting off to the side – I asked the tour guide what the coconut-shaped orb was that was dangling from the banana cluster, which turned out to be the “flower” of the banana plant. With so many tropical branches hanging over my head at every turn, I felt like I was someplace warm on vacation… And speaking of “warm”, my next stop was at the arid greenhouse, which housed several plants that you’d find in a dry, desert climate. I had no idea there were so many different kinds of cacti, some with long, sharp needles, and others with thousands of tiny bristles. Some were small enough to fit in the palm of your hand (not that you’d want to put them there), while others weaved in strange patterns all the way up to the ceiling. While I’d already checked out several displays, I still hadn’t gotten to the main attraction – The “Winterland Express.” On my way to the exhibit, I passed through hallways plastered with artist-designed wreaths, as well as intricate gingerbread houses. When I neared the entrance, I saw that the walls were decorated with pictures and information about Paul Busse, the man who inspired the exhibit – He was in charge of finding creative ways to design all of the miniature Chicago buildings I was about to observe. When I finally made my way in, snowflakes made of water and vegetable oil gently swirled through the air, looking exactly like real snowflakes. I took a look around at the gigantic room filled with all types of plants, railroad tracks, and replicas of familiar buildings from all over Chicago. Looking more closely at the buildings, I was in awe at how creative the artist had been in designing them. The materials used to create every building were all-natural; Sticks, acorns, gourds, and even mushrooms were amassed together to create some of the most impressive works of art I had ever seen. I walked past the Shedd Aquarium, Adler Planetarium, Field Museum, Soldier Field, and even Mrs. O’Leary’s cow, each brilliantly created with twigs, bark, and other things you’d find outdoors. Weaving my way under the train tracks as seven trains and three trolleys circled past me, I finally got to the famous scene of downtown Chicago. I saw Navy Pier along with its famous Ferris wheel, the Hancock Building, and sure enough, the Sears Tower rising above everything else. Waterfalls splashed down from overhead displays to create a replica of the Chicago River as well. It was a room filled with nostalgia, a true historical representation of Chicago’s landmarks from both today and years past. If you have an appreciation for exotic plants, displays of intricate artwork, or want to experience all of downtown Chicago in a single room, check out what Chicago Botanic Garden has to offer. After visiting, you’ll be amazed at how much there is to see, even in the bitter cold of winter.

[+/-] click to show/hide this post

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home