Read our Lake County, IL Blogs

Tuesday, January 8, 2008
Downtown Antioch, IL
I needed to do some shopping and wanted something other than the usual mall fare. I’ve passed through downtown Antioch many times but have never taken the time to “stop and smell the roses” so to speak. I decided to stop with my daughter into all those wonderful shops I passed by so many times before. We parked near Hannah’s, so we decided to see what’s new. Their displays are just beautiful, wish I could have their visual merchandisers decorate my home this nice! Hannah’s has an extensive scrapbooking department that is awesome. Anything you would need for scrapbooking you can find at Hannah’s. I picked up some paper and stickers. Next stop, JJ Blinkers. I’ve heard a lot about JJ’s and decided to check it out. This is THE place to go for a costume any time of the year. Where else could you get a Cleopatra costume in January? The staff is very friendly and helpful, I really enjoyed looking at all they have to offer. By far, JJ’s had the best selection for not only costumes, but also gag gifts and party supplies. Their customer service is top notch too.

We needed a little something to drink and decided on Infini-tea. What a comfortable and welcoming place to have a spot of tea. I brought some of the Holiday Tea home and it is terrific. I need to go back and buy some for a gift. The atmosphere is very warm and inviting, and everyone greets you with a smile. I could see myself sitting here sipping tea and catching up with an old friend for an afternoon.

This is the first time I have stopped in at Alexandria’s and it is already my favorite bath & body shop. I spent a small fortune here on candles, soaps, gifts, etc. Everything they sell is handmade. Try the soy candles, simply delightful. I can’t wait to try the Coffee Mocha and the Diamonds & Pearls candles I picked up. I love the Dry Skin Soap too.

At last it was time to bid farewell to our shopping adventure, by now we had spent enough money. We had a great time, every shop we went into we were treated with the friendliest staff and the best customer service. I have to say that I was impressed. We had no trouble finding a place to park, plenty of parking behind the shops on Main Street. One tip when visiting downtown Antioch, many of the shops are closed on Mondays. Plan your trip for later in the week.

[+/-] click to show/hide this post

3 Comments:

Blogger Peter V Grant said...

What a great post! You are the type of person that Antioch needs! People musn't forget to come downtown once in a while to support these wonderful businesses that make Antioch a great place to live. If we don't support our downtown district, then we risk losing the soul of Antioch. This is part of the reason that people came here in the first place, because of the small town atmosphere, but we tend to get busy in our everday lives and forget to "stop and smell the roses" Where else can you go and see live theater, and an art museum, or the Antioch Historical Society museum.

I am a candidate for the Lake County Board, and I will do what ever I can to help develop and strengthen our downtown district. As a matter of fact, I am working on a community development program to help keep Antioch business thriving.

Peter Grant

January 9, 2008 at 4:41 AM  
Blogger Michele DeGoey said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

January 10, 2008 at 3:14 PM  
Blogger Michele DeGoey said...

Thank you for your comments about Downtown Antioch. I really appreciate hearing other visitor's opinions on the attractions that I am writing about. I agree that Antioch is an undiscovered jewel in the northwest portion of Lake County. The downtown area and quaint shops of Antioch are a nice getaway from the hustle and bustle of the city.

January 10, 2008 at 3:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home