Read our Lake County, IL Blogs

Tuesday, March 18, 2008
A drive on the Lake County Highways
On an average week, I find myself traveling by car between Cook County and my home in northern Lake County at least once. It's sometimes difficult to know which route to take at what time of day, but I usually find myself on some stretch of IL-41 or US 94. 41 is usually a quick shot if somewhat winding, while 94 has some ongoing contruction but no traffic lights to contend with.

Last week I took 41 south after reading about the planned changes to the roadway for later this year. I began at the point which could be the biggest transformation as far as my usage in Gurnee is concerned- the intersection of Route 41 and Grand Avenue. I've heard the ramp design described as "1930's style", and I know it has been unchanged at least since the 1950's, when my father grew up down the road from the four-way stop. The long back-ups on either side of 41 may finally be streamlined, as plans are underway to remove that section of the bridge and modify the ramps into a standard diamond interchange.

I cruised on past the next two major streets in the area, Washington and Route 120, both of which are also slated for renovations that should greatly improve the flow of traffic through Lake County. A two-mile stretch of Washington is slated to be rebuilt between 41 and Great America after 120's bridge over 41 is reconstructed. I continued south past Martin Luther King Drive into North Chicago, and remembered that MLK is also scheduled to be rebuilt between Sheridan Road and Green Bay Road later this year as part of the massive effort. I headed soutwards past the leaveless Oak trees to Lake Cook Rd and back without much incident, and decided that for my next trip I should take 94 south to compare notes.

Two days later I hopped onto 94 and headed south on a trip into the city. I could tell right off the bat that 94 was enjoying its own share of construction, as just past Great America the road slimmed down to two lanes and the signs listed the speed limit at 45 miles per hour. It became apparent as I rolled on that a major overhaul was taking place, as the two wide center lanes were bordered for miles by concrete barricades on either side as teams rebuilt the surface. A little further down, a vehicle resembling an ice-rink Zamboni with whirling brushes on either side roared over a grated segment of asphalt. I passed beneath a Red-Tailed Hawk who watched the procession of cars from a low-lying tree limb as we cruised along. Snow patches lingered on the banks along the roadway, and a sign instructed trucks to use the right lanes. As I passed Lake Forest I reflected on another scheduled change that I'm looking forward to as an avid cyclist- the extension of the Lake County bike path north from Lake Forest into Lake Bluff.

The green markers atop the construction barricades whizzed by in a blur as I continued, and the real scope of the construction project sunk in. Two miles before the 94-294 roadway split the surface widened into four lanes, and signs announced the end of the road work. My return trip northwards took place later in the evening without much fanfare, and crews continued to work the beneath yellow lights. Although it looks gnarled at the moment, I remained impressed by the range of the widely-encompassing construction project. With so much work taking place, Lake County residents will no doubt be appreciative of the upgraded road systems upon the program's completion.

[+/-] click to show/hide this post

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home