Read our Lake County, IL Blogs

Tuesday, April 28, 2009
A night at the Genesee Theatre by Jayne Nordstrom
I had seen Celtic Thunder for the first time on WTTW Channel 11 last year during their March subscription drive and of course for the St. Patrick's Day celebrations. It was interesting to see the total opposite of Celtic Woman which I had see at the historic Chicago Theatre. OK, I'm not Irish but love the music. When I received my events email from the Genesee Theatre that they were coming to Waukegan, it was a no brainer to order tickets.

I asked my husband to go since I'm always trying to broaden his horizons and it's a date night for us. So Steve went along with not even really knowing who they were and what the show was going to be like. As the show started and the performers came on stage, it was a riot to hear the female response. I thought "he's going to think I came just for the guys". However, the drums started off and the thunderous (pardon the pun) first number and he was hooked!

The stage was set like the recorded show on WTTW with stone steps, background visuals, lovely nymph-like ladies on the strings and handsome men in kilts on percussion, guitar and keyboards. And the talent of Damian, Keith, Ryan Paul and George - so each very different in range, style and looks that appeal to a wide audience. Even the mom-in-law was there with her friends and they loved it. It was a perfect mix of traditional Celtic and contemporary songs. I personally loved Nights in White Satin since we had seen The Moody Blues at the Genesee a couple of years ago. Ireland's Call had everyone on their feet and Paul's version of I Wanna Know What Love Is simply took my breathe away.

There was a little play with the audience when Keith yelled out "Hello Waukegan!" Paul hiked up his kilt a little to get the ladies all stirred up. And Damian is growing up right before our eyes. We really enjoyed ourselves and the Genesee Theatre was the perfect venue to host this concert; it's so beautiful. I hear that the performance was sold out and I hope we see more shows like this in my hometown. By the way, Steve bought the show CD's and now we're listening to them in the car. Celtic Thunder has a new fan. Visit http://www.geneseetheatre.com for all their upcoming shows.

[+/-] click to show/hide this post

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home