Read our Lake County, IL Blogs

Tuesday, March 17, 2009
A Leprechaun Told Me About an All You Can Eat Corned Beef and Cabbage Dinner!
We went out for St. Patrick’s Day a little early this year, but LUCKY for you, you still have time tonight! McCarthy’s restaurant, located next to Macy’s in Hawthorn Mall (Vernon Hills) is in the midst of their St. Patrick’s Day Festival. It is one you won’t want to miss!


My mom used to really get into celebrating the holiday when I was young. She would make corned beef and cabbage, green mashed potatoes and we would even drink green milk (if you close your eyes…it tastes the same). We loved it. So…as we walked in, McCarthy’s had some big shoes to fill.


Sherri, our waitress, was fantastic! I would go back, just because she took care of us so well. First, she told us the specials and then took our drink order. All you can eat corned beef and cabbage, fish n chips and green beer were the specials for the evening – I’m in!


We started our dinner with an appetizer. Now as I said before, I love corned beef and cabbage so for me, you can never have too much. So when we saw corned beef and cabbage egg rolls on the menu I couldn’t order them fast enough. They were unbelievable!


We both ordered the all you can eat corned beef and cabbage dinners. It came with soup or salad and we chose the Baked French Onion soup. It was so yummy – they must have used the fresh baked bread as the croutons and lots of melted cheese. Again, I would go back just for another crock of soup, so good!


Then Sherri served the traditional corned beef and cabbage dinner. Red potatoes and carrots accompanied the entrée, but what kicked it up a notch? A thousand island mustard dressing for dipping. Yep, I was in heaven.


I think I said earlier that green beer was on the menu for the holiday too, right? Well, you can’t have a St. Patrick’s Day celebration without having a green beer, or at least I can’t, so I joined in on the fun. You would think I was Irish, wouldn’t you?


OK, that was the dinner…let’s not forget the entertainment. While we were there, Mike Madsen from radio station 102.3 was broadcasting live and there were Irish dancers. It was the perfect way to get us in the green spirit. The dancers were fantastic!


McCarthy’s has planned some special things for Tuesday as well. There will be live entertainment (Terry Spizzirri), Irish dancers and even bag pipers! Check out their website www.mccarthysrestaurant.com for more information on times, etc.


This was the best St. Patrick’s Day celebration that I have joined in on in years! I am so glad I found out about McCarthy’s through the calendar of events at the Lake County Visitors Bureau website. You have to keep checking back – there are always great ideas on what to do in the county AND often have coupons too. By the way, there is a coupon for McCarthy’s through the www.lakecounty.org website. Don’t miss out!

[+/-] click to show/hide this post

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home