Read our Lake County, IL Blogs

Tuesday, February 24, 2009
It’s 86 and sunny in my paradise, how about you?
I keep humming the song, “Baby, it’s cold outside!” I guess I know why.

On January 26th, Chicago recorded the coldest day we have seen in 13 years (-18°). Tom Skilling, WGN Meteorologist, has checked the records and only 12 winters have produced a reading lower than the temperature of 18 degrees below zero over the past 138 years. Everyone with me, “I really can’t stay…baby it’s cold outside!”

As my daughter and I snuggled under a comforter on the couch, Mark, my husband walked in and said we needed a vacation! “OK…tell me more!” He said he knew of a close place where it is 86 and sunny all year round. Woo Hoo, I’m goin’ to Hawaii!! Wait a minute. Did he say paradise was close? The last I checked it was at least an 8 hour flight.


He had three words for me – Key Lime Cove. Lake County is home to its own “tropical inspired” indoor water park resort in Gurnee. As the sliding glass doors open, we were greeted by Adirondack chairs of all colors and palm trees AND a wonderful 86 degrees. “Ahhhhhh, I AM in paradise!”


We grabbed a bite to eat at The Crazy Toucan (how can you resist the name?). Food was tasty and the 32 oz. mango Daiquiri was a vacation in a glass!


I ran up to the room to take a bath and relax and Mark and Maggie headed down to the pool to check things out. One of the nicest things? Check-in is at 4:00pm and check-out is at 11:00am; however, you are able to come earlier and use the water park AND stay until 9:00pm, after your check-out time! Ask during the registration process; however this was a great perk!


Mark and Maggie dipped their toes in, played on the water slide, walked around the arcade and explored while I was relaxing in the bubbles! Our room even had the island feel. Light citrus colors for bedding and prints on the wall. Another nice thing was since our daughter has allergies, we need to cart along some specific foods/beverages for her. There was a little refrigerator in our room. I was very thankful for that! I even saw on a t.v. commercial where there is a room with a bunk bed in it! We may have to check that out the next time for Maggie and a friend.


There was so much to do; we couldn’t get it in all in one overnight! There is a spa, multiple restaurants, an arcade, there are multiple shops, a YUMMY confectionary area, a ride on Key Lime Creek (This is a “must see” – Maggie fell asleep for her nap as we rode the current), a Lil’ Limers area focused on the youngest guests, covered slide rides (some that twist out of the building and back in again), an enormous pineapple dump bucket (makes a BIG splash), whirlpool…and too much more to write in this paragraph! You have to experience it.


Enjoy – we did!

[+/-] click to show/hide this post

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home