Read our Lake County, IL Blogs

Tuesday, October 7, 2008
Finding my way through Richardson Corn Maze
This past Friday I took a trek northwards to Spring Grove to visit the fabled Richardson Corn Maze. I wasn't quite sure what to expect...I had heard that the maze was huge, but aside from that I knew very little about it. I arrived in the late afternoon, and, after a brief orientation from a maze guide, I found myself stepping into a labyrinth woven of eight-foot stalks of corn.

What I had heard about the maze beforehand was immediately confirmed - this thing was indeed enormous. I strolled past the pumpkin patch and petting zoo, and watched as kids rolled around a small-scale racetrack on go carts. Looking ahead, I stepped through the archway and was swallowed up by the monstrous vegetation. The theme of this year's maze is the 2008 election, and my map showed an aerial view of the maze pattern - a cartoon donkey and elephant trying to reach the White House. Luckily for me there were numbered check points throughout the maze corresponding to those on my map, or I might have felt like one of the lost hikers from the Blair Witch Project. Consulting the map, I made my way toward one of the elevated foot bridges and climbed it for a higher view.

The bridges were definitely a nice touch - from the elevated platform I looked out across the tops of the plants, and was able to orient myself amidst the winding paths. I soaked in the panoramic view, from the big red barn and 50-foot lookout tour to the west to tiny houses off in the distance to the east. The maze itself wound for several miles, so I was in for some good exercise if I was to complete the entire stretch and visit each checkpoint (each checkpoint holds a hole punch with a unique imprint, and to properly complete the maze one needs a stamp from each location as proof of visitation).

Climbing back down into the maze of maize, I wound my way through the donkey towards the White House. Voiced drifted in and out of earshot as groups of explorers crossed paths and traced opposite sides of the rows. At times I felt like Alice in Wonderland wandering the rose bushes as the tops of the ears eclipsed my view, and, as someone six feet tall, I could only imagine how enchanting the maze would be to a youngster. I worked my way around the trunk of the elephant and took a rest on top of another bridge to gain some perspective.

After an unknown length of time ( I left my phone in my car), I wound my way determinedly towards my starting point. Perhaps stoked up by the hiking, my appetite crept into my thoughts and I found myself thinking about corn bread and corn chowder. I made my way back out of the maze and decided to climb the lookout tower for a higher view. The view from up top was sensational, as I was able to take in the full panorama of the surrounding area and bear witness to the colorful hues and long shadows cast by the setting sun.

Climbing back down, I stopped by the petting zoo and fed some grass to a quartet of gats, who seemed to enjoy being petted and scratched on the head. I walked through some pine trees and discovered a huge rest area of picnic tables and fire pits, all permeated by a natural pine scent courtesy of the surround trees. My first trip to the Richardson Corn Maze left a positive impression on me, and I reflected on my way home that the farm is one of the few places I could think of offhand that offers fresh air, natural beauty, and recreation for people of all ages.

[+/-] click to show/hide this post

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home