Read our Lake County, IL Blogs

Tuesday, September 16, 2008
An afternoon at the Lake Bluff Farmer's Market
For the first time ever, I've started going to Farmer's Markets this year to pick up fresh produce and flowers. It's nice to be able to shop outdoors and enjoy the weather and at the same time get truly fresh fruit and vegetables. Lake Bluff has had a Farmers Market in their downtown Market Square area every Friday since June which will continue through the middle of October. I stopped by their Farmer's Market on Friday to check it out and was pleasantly surprised. Although it was raining on and off in the morning the Farmers market was still set-up and luckily when I arrived the rain held up for awhile.
I have to say I was pretty impressed with the selection at this one. Many of the Farmer's Markets I've been to have a great selection, however, it is mostly the standard items like fruits, vegetables, etc. This one had so many different booths with a wide variety of not only produce but lots of other foods as well. There were two booths that had baked goods. They were selling scones, fresh bread, muffins, cakes and pies. There was also a booth selling homemade toffee and other chocolates and they had a lot of samples to test out.
One booth that stood out to me was a booth with flowers. They put together huge bouquets with sunflowers and other colorful flowers and were selling the bouqets very reasonably. I liked that they were already put together and were bright and colorful.

Another booth I stopped at for awhile had lots of different types of olive oils and vinegars. The olive oils were scented with a variety of herbs like garlic and basil. You were able to test out the different types on bread which was helpful too before buying a bottle of it. The vinegars were aged differently and had a variety of flavors as well. I love balsamic vinegars and they had some great ones.

One of the booths had freshly squeezed lemonade which was delicious. The vegetables and fruit were also great. I stocked up on uor favorites and everything looked very fresh which was nice.

I plan on returning to the Lake Bluff Farmer's Market again next Friday to check it out again. I came home with a lot of wonderful things that I wasn't expecting which is always a great treat! There were also some booths I didn't get a chance to look at closely which I hope to do next week as well.

[+/-] click to show/hide this post

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home