Read our Lake County, IL Blogs

Tuesday, March 9, 2010
Enzo & Lucia’s Ristorante and Fiddler on the Roof By: Jayne Nordstrom

My Friend Georgia agreed to take my husband's ticket to "Fiddler on the Roof" at the Marriott Theatre. First, we decided to go to a later lunch and since I had not had the chance to eat at Enzo & Lucia's in Long Grove, it seemed like a good time to go. I've heard wonderful things about the restaurant as they offer gluten-free pasta, the food is good and they are great for group dining.

It’s a lovely, two-level restaurant right across from the Visitor Center. Our server gave us a lovely basket of bread and (I should have asked the Italian name of this) mixture of garlic, olive oil, tomatoes and such for dipping. I tried a sample and it was so wonderful – lots of garlic. I have to tell you, bring lots of mints with you.

I ordered Pollo Saltimbocca which is a flattened chicken breast topped with prosciutto and mozzarella cheese. There was also sautéed spinach and grilled veggies. As I learned from Georgia that saltimbocca means “jump in your mouth” and boy, did it ever. A truly enjoyable meal and I had the leftovers the next day for lunch. Georgia ordered Eggplant Parmigiana which she could hardly touch after eating all the bread and garlic mixture! We had a bit of time to visit the shops in Long Grove and were glad to get back to the car with all of our bags.

As always, the Marriott Theatre never disappoints with the quality of talent and the variety of the shows. “Fiddler on the Roof” was a true joy. Tevye was played by Ross Lehman who also portrayed Edna in “Hairspray”. Ross’ interpretation of the main character was a little different than what I remember in the movie. I had never seen the musical done live before so that was my only comparison. His portrayal was a little less gruff and more loving I think. The strong themes of the musical were still there, giving us a glimpse of what it must be like to be driven from a home they have always known. That even during oppression, hope and love can continue on; faith, family and friends will carry us through.


[+/-] click to show/hide this post

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home