Read our Lake County, IL Blogs

Tuesday, December 23, 2008
Is that “Joy to the World” I hear being played on a dulcimer?
Right now, as I write this, I am in heaven listening to the sounds of the season. I actually tried to attach a video so you could listen too...but unfortunately the file is TOO big. Let me describe - think of Hark the Herald Angels Sing being played by the combination of a guitar, a harp and a mandolin all wrapped into one instrument...JUST BEAUTIFUL!


Where did I find this beautiful music? Long Grove’s “Celebrate the Season” is going on right now. There are activities planned from now until January 1st.


This was an especially fun place to visit for me as I got married in Long Grove on December 16th (let’s just say a few years ago…okay?) and it brought back so many fond memories. The wonderful thing about “fond memories” and Long Grove is just that…the village takes you back to a time long ago…carriage rides, carolers, and so much more.


If you haven’t experienced Long Grove, you must. If you haven’t experienced Long Grove in the winter, take advantage of the activities that are going on right now. And if you haven’t experienced Long Grove, in the winter, AND in the evening, it is a delight! You should try to go back for dinner. Well let me rephrase that…you should play and shop during the day and stay in the village for dinner...I would recommend the Tavern (my rehearsal dinner venue); however there are others as well!


The decorations are exquisite. My photos just won’t do it justice because I was taking pictures of lit decorations during the day; however you are able to see the garlands, wreaths, trees and more from other shots I have.


Everyone is in the spirit there! I ran in to see the Santa Breakfast at Seasons of Long Grove and couldn’t believe how excited the kids were to see Santa, eat an amazing breakfast and have one of Santa’s elves making balloon animals and ornaments for fun. It was so warm, I felt as though I was walking in on someone’s Christmas morning!


Next, I sauntered over to Mangels. This is where I saw Bill Robinson “King of the Dulcimer” and his friends. Honestly, the music you hear above touches you – if I hadn’t been in the spirit of the holidays before that, I am now. I walked away with one of his CD’s. I couldn’t resist. You can learn more about him (great guy) at http://www.billrobinson-dulcimer.com.


I had to tear myself away from the music and walked around the store. If I had a shopping cart, it would have been full of all of the decorations I wanted to take home for this season. There were gingerbread homes, nativity scenes, Mark Roberts’s fairies (these are the elfin Santa’s you see in the photos) and oodles more to choose from.


Goodness, it isn’t fair that I focus on only a couple attractions in the town; however there just isn’t enough time to go over each store. You have to take a few moments and look at the Long Grove website (http://www.longgroveonline.com/countryside_holidays.html). There is a link for all of the holiday programming and stores will be open until 2pm on Christmas Eve.


This weekend, don’t miss the Nutcracker tea at Seasons, chamber music at Timmy’s Sandwich & Ice Cream, live music Thomas Swenson/Ellise Steglinski or Jimmy Liggett at Beans & Leaves and much more!


Don’t forget to top the day off with a wonderful carriage ride. It will be the highlight of your holiday season!


[+/-] click to show/hide this post

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home