Read our Lake County, IL Blogs

Tuesday, December 16, 2008
Rainforest surrounds Chicago at Wonderland Express exhibit
As I had previously only been to visit the Chicago Botanic Garden during summer months, I was intrigued as to what I might find when I heard about the winter-themed Wonderland Express exhibit. I showed up to the garden last Friday afternoon during the cold snap, the bright sun casting a pleasant glow but doing little to alleviate the seventeen-degree chill. I marveled at the partially snow-covered sculpture out front before crossing the bridge over the icy river and bustling into the exhibit building.

Along with the rejuvenating heat came the pleasing familiarity of instrumental holiday music, and I decided to take a stroll through a greenhouse near the entryway before checking out the main exhibition. Once inside the main hall, the cozy lighting and pleasant music engulfed me, and it really did feel like I had stepped into some sort of wonderland. Trains on wooden tracks chugged overhead and by my feet, and the scent of evergreen stood out amidst the foliage all around. Tiny flakes of foam snow dropped from the ceiling, and I stepped forward into a model train version of what Chicago might look like if Santa Claus lived here rather than at the North Pole.

Among the bridges and trestles, pines and flowering plants, miniature Chicago landmarks stood replicated in astonishing detail, all crafted from natural materials. Past a small forest of White Spruce Pines I marveled at the recreation of Frank Lloyd Wright's Robie House, and rounded a bend to come face-to-face with a Kashmir Cypress, a tree whose branches resembled hanging ferns. I followed the sound of rushing water to a magnificent waterfall that cascaded down a ledge near a series of elevated train tracks. I peered into a semi-hidden cove to admire some architecture and saw something shoot past me on the track below before disappearing into a forest glen. After a short wait I was again treated to what I thought I had seen- a ladybug on wheels riding the rails. A nearby sign explained that it was one of several "Ladybug Cars" that intermingled with the locomotives in the woodlands.

Across the path I encountered what to me may have been the pinnacle of the exhibit: Chicago's Navy Pier, constructed in fantastic detail, complete with rotating wooden Ferris Wheel. Soft lights nearby led me to a recreation of the Chicago Picasso, brilliantly constructed from plant matter. The sound of the "Bear Down, Chicago Bears" theme guided me towards a version of Soldier Field as it might appear were it home to gingerbread players.

All the landmarks displayed were striking in their craftsmanship, and I spent a good deal of time admiring each to notice their many subtleties. The Museum of Science and Industry stood amidst light pink flowers beneath a pine cone edifice, and the Baha'i Temple radiated magnificence beneath its dome gourd. The sights, sounds, and smells were a wonder to behold, and I would recommend the exhibit to art and nature fans of all ages.

[+/-] click to show/hide this post

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home