Read our Lake County, IL Blogs

Tuesday, November 25, 2008
"Just four more weeks" My Trip to Gurnee Mills
“Just four more weeks”, I heard someone say as I walked from my car, through the crisp air, to the doors of Gurnee Mills Mall. “Four more weeks until what?” I thought. And then it hit me as I saw the beautiful white lights cascading from the ceiling. Four more weeks until Christmas!

I planned to run into the mall to pick up a gift for my nephew’s birthday and immediately changed plans for the day. I was swept into the holiday spirit of shopping for my friends and family!

I had to say a quick “thank you” to Gurnee Mills (in my head) because as I walked into the mall, there was a pleasant voice reminding me what entrance I had walked in. I didn’t know how important that would be until I had strolled down corridors of hundreds of stores for several hours. Knowing which entrance I left my car parked would be a benefit in the end!


As I walked toward the stores I noticed the wonderful decorations; trees and presents, beautiful wreaths and candy canes hanging everywhere and Christmas music was playing over the loud speakers. “It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas”, I hummed along immediately.

A couple things caught my eye immediately, that probably wouldn’t have, had I only been “running in”. I saw groups of service personnel in the Cyber Arena internet café, contacting family and friends on quite a few computers. What it must be like to be serving your country and be away from the ones you love around the holidays. I am humbled.


I quickly had any thoughts of summer or fall leave my mind as I saw many people taking advantage of the ice skating rink at Rink Side Sports. It was wonderful! There were many people just learning to skate (around the edges) and there were several “little pros” in the middle. It made me want to grab a cup of hot chocolate and warm up by a fireplace.

And then I saw him, the jolly old guy, with rosy cheeks and beard as white as the snow. Families were gathered taking their holiday photos with Santa from Worldwide Photography – IPI. How fun it was to see the awe and wonder in the eyes of those kids!


Off I went, onto my shopping! I hadn’t taken the time in the past, to realize that there are so many stores in Gurnee Mills Mall. You can find ANYTHING you need. There are over ten anchor stores and retailers in apparel, shoes, sporting goods, toys and hobbies, jewelry, electronics, accessories, hair and nails…the list goes on!

After I had walked around for a while, I realized I was getting hungry so I decided to see what was available. There are so many choices – you can choose from a quick bite to eat to a more leisurely lunch. I decided to enjoy a sandwich and a great cup of gourmet coffee and headed on my way. I set out to do a few more stores after lunch and thought, “I really need to come back, to see what I missed!”

I popped on the website after I got home and found that the mall will be opening at midnight on Thanksgiving night! Doors will open at 12:00 a.m. on Friday, November 28th to ring in 2008’s Black Friday! Hmmmmm...after a turkey dinner during the day, a leftover turkey sandwich later in the evening…should I take a ride?

[+/-] click to show/hide this post

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home