Read our Lake County, IL Blogs

Tuesday, October 9, 2007
Six Flags Great America - Fright Fest
On a warm Saturday night in early October, I found myself drawn to Six Flags' annual Fright Fest celebration to see what spooky surprises might be found within the transformed theme park. I had seen the giant black spiders hanging from the side of the American Eagle roller coaster off of the nearby interstate, and I was curious as to what lurked within the creepy confines. I showed my ticket and passed through the gates, wherein I was immediately pulled forward by the strange lighting and eerie music. Fog hung in the air, lending a mysterious atmosphere to the main fountain and carousel. I decided to stroll towards the right and see what lay ahead amidst the cornstalks and pumpkins.
Thick spiderwebs hung from the fences around the walkways, reinforcing the notion that giant spiders had laid claim to the park after it had been closed for the regular season. Tombstones in the grass provided me with a chill, and reminded me of how much I had loved Halloween as a kid. Park-goers wound through pathways that resembled long-lost cemeteries, while youngsters smiled in awe and pointed to the partially-concealed skeletons dangling from the tree limbs overhead. Determined that Hallowen wasn't just for kids, I pressed onwards towards Southwest Territory.
The ghostly atmosphere hung thick here, as crowds gathered around outdoor demonstrations and people soaked in the night air. The Raging Bull roller coaster roared in enormous loops, and to my left the Giant Drop plummeted screaming riders earthwards as they tried to catch their breath. A little ways down, a haunted-sounding melody caught my ear, and I followed the rhythm to seek out its origin. I discovered a stage painted in strange green light, and a band of ghouls in skeletal costumes playing their version of Johnny Cash's hit "Ghost Riders in the Sky". To the side of the stage, creatures in hooded robes danced and bopped their heads to the music. I paused to watch the band hammer out the rest of the tune, much to the delight of the satisfied audience.
Again winding my way through the park, I was stopped in my tracks by giant stone gates and an ominously-lit sign which read "Necropolis: Haunted City of the Dead". Swallowing the lump in my throat, I passed through the gate and entered the city. Along with other giddy explorers, I headed down pathways covered overhead by netting and spiderwebs. A clearing revealed what appeared to be two crash-landed flying saucers, still manned at the controls by their alien pilots. Up ahead I found what could have been described as a scene out of Night of the Living Dead. Male and female zombies lurched amidst the living, groaning and hissing as they wandered through the picnic grove-turned-graveyard. Fog hung in the air and over the water, leaving little doubt that the city was, in fact, haunted. At every turn something different grabbed my eye, as zombies and humans mingled together in an aura of creepy festivity.
As I continued through the city, a large figure stumbled towards me out of the shadows. I found myself face to face with what appeared to be a large, disgruntled man with wild hair and the face of a Jack O' Lantern. I couldn't help but notice that he also had blood-splattered clothing and was gripping an axe with stained gloves. Once the initial shock wore off and I regained my composure, I asked him if he would take a picture with me, to which he happily obliged.
Outside of Necropolis, I was drawn towards an eerie grove lit by torches. As I walked around the cornstalks to get a better view, I was surprised by the sight of a massive stone gargoyle, perched menacingly over gravestones in an unearthly cemetery. At his feet were various skeletal remains, which I could only guess had once belonged to those unfortunate enough to wander in the vicinity of the hungry monster. After taking a picture of this macabre scene, I decided to head towards the bumper cars, wondering what I might find along the way. I took about 30 steps before I glimpsed something out of the corner of my eye that made me turn around. Looming over me was a giant werewolf, standing approximately eight feet tall. Fur spilled out from the rips in his clothes, and his teeth were bared below his angry eyes. I jumped back as he continued past me, and noticed that he had a partner about 30 yards away. The costumes were amazing, and I took a seat on a nearby bench to watch with delight as the the beasts loped back and forth amongst the passerbys, leaning in to scare those oblivious to their towering presence. As I headed towards the exit, I noticed what looked to be an enormous gorilla cIimbing the sky tower that overlooks the park grounds. I left that evening with a smile on my face, re-affirmed in my belief that Halloween is a magical time of year, not only for kids, but for older scare-lovers as well.

[+/-] click to show/hide this post

2 Comments:

Blogger tafaba said...

I must say that I completely enjoyed your blog. It is well written and very descriptive. I especially like the part about Necropolis as this is MY favorite part of Six Flags. The description of the pumpkin faced creature with an axe was nice and the picture is very nice. I ESPECIALLY like the pumpkin face guy. I know for a FACT that he enjoys what he does ;-)

September 9, 2008 at 7:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed your blog as well. It's just how I see Halloween and Six Flags Great America's Fright Fest. Just like you, I loved Halloween as a kid. It was a fun and magical time for me and I still enjoy as such as an adult and I am bringing my 4 year old daughter to see it the same way, not as some evil demonic holiday as some see it or want it to be. I always tell her, "As long as you don't take it too far, its ok."

Anywhoo, Fright Fest is an awesome time. I, too, love Necropolis and both of the haunted houses. I have been going every year since 1998, just about, and my husband and I continue to go. As a matter of fact, we are planning to go this year on October 11th. I have a picture of the pumpkin face guy too! He's awesome and I also have some of Mayor Slayer, zombie pirates, and the warewolfs. Fright Fest...good times!

September 21, 2008 at 8:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home