Read our Lake County, IL Blogs

Tuesday, September 11, 2007
Volo Bog
It seems like just about every day, something new is being built in Lake County. Vacant lots, abandoned buildings, and most importantly, our forests are being transformed into new businesses. Slowly but surely, our trees, shrubs, and grasslands are being replaced by metal and concrete. Because of this construction, there may not be as many untouched natural areas as there used to be in Lake County, but luckily, there are still a few. I was able to visit one of these rarities yesterday at Volo Bog in Ingleside, Illinois. Overflowing with all different types of trees, flowers, and animals, this miracle of nature continues to flourish as it remains untouched.
When I first arrived at Volo Bog, I spoke with a friendly representative who gave me a quick overview of the bog and the different walking trails. For those who don’t know, a bog is a marshy wetland area where characteristic plants and mosses can be found. To get some more information, I watched a quick ten-minute video and was amazed at some of the facts. For example, about 16,000 years ago, Lake County was buried in ice. A section of ice broke free from the glacier and eventually melted, the runoff from which formed Volo Bog. The bog is also constantly changing – through precipitation and water evaporation, the amount of moisture available continues to vary. After learning more about the different plant and animal species that I should be looking for, I decided to hop on the trail and start my search.
When I first got to the wooden bridge to begin the trail, I was surrounded by a beautiful landscape of greenery. Countless trees overshadowed the wooden bridge while ferns and bright flowers swarmed the marsh below. As I began my walk, I was serenaded by the songs of crickets and cicadas while dragonflies zipped through the air. All types of birds perched atop the tree limbs while others soared in search of food. Everything was operating just as mother nature intended – undisturbed. Animals did not have to leave their homes to make way for bulldozers and trees were not being cut down to clear room for any buildings – Everything played its usual role in its natural habitat.
I continued along the bridge until I reached a small, shallow body of water, which was all that remained of the melted glacier from so many years ago. The surface of the water was completely amassed in duckweed, giving it a bright green appearance. Frogs could be seen hopping from one lily pad to the next, while birds continued to sing their song off in the distance. I hung around for a few more minutes to admire all of the scenery, then started the journey back to my car.
Unless you live way out in the middle of nowhere, it’s tough to get away from civilization. We spend just about every day surrounded by tall buildings, highways, and construction, unable to appreciate the beauty of an undisturbed ecosystem. If you ever have an hour to spare on a nice sunny day, I’d strongly recommend a trip to Volo Bog. Take just a little time out of your day to put things in perspective and see how Mother Nature used to be before we took over.

[+/-] click to show/hide this post

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home