Read our Lake County, IL Blogs

Friday, April 1, 2011
My visit to the Volo Auto Museum!
I recently had the opportunity to stop out at the Volo Auto Museum. I am not a car guy, but I am fascinated by cars from movies, celebrity cars and some classics. The Volo Auto Museum is one of the great treasures of our area and offers something for everyone in the family to enjoy.

The kids will especially love the Flintstones car, which they are able to sit in. They will even enjoy seeing the Fabulous Hudson Hornet – Doc from the movie Cars. Young adults like myself will be brought back to their childhood seeing the Scooby Doo Mystery Machine and the Mello Yello car that Tom Cruise drove in the movie Days of Thunder. Another special one for me was the Dukes of Hazzard General Lee, since I was a fan of the TV show growing up and I always wanted to have a car with its doors welded shut. I thought it would be cool to hop through the window to get in and out of the car. Maybe next time I will dress up like Don Johnson and take a picture next to the Miami Vice Ferrari! Some of my other personal favorites are the Back to the Future Delorean, The Bluesmobile from the Blues Brothers and KITT from Knight Rider.

If your grandparents were in the military, I highly recommend checking out the military exhibit, it will bring back memories for them. The museum has 40 cabinets full of personal effects from those who have served from the Civil War to Vietnam and Iraq. There is also a combat zone that is set up as a realistic battle scene featuring authentic military uniforms, weapons and vehicles. This is a great exhibit for the history buff in the family.

One of the things that I was unable to see, but will definitely be going back to view is celebrity owned super cars. These cars are stored in a private vault and not open to the public. They can be seen on a bus tour of the museum grounds. The tour costs an additional $3.95. The one car that I really want to see is the new that they have, which is Michael Jordan’s Bentley. You can read about in this Daily Herald article: http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20110331/news/703319779/#ixzz1IHvl4xVT.

Museum cost is $9.95 for adults and $5.95 for children ages 5-12. You can get a $2 off coupon on our site http://www.lakecounty.org/coupons_view.cfm?coupon_id=387. I highly recommend a visit to the Volo Auto Museum as it is not just for dads. I will definitely be stopping back there very soon and will be bringing my wife to see the exhibits and take the tour to see the celebrity cars. I hope everyone enjoys a visit to the museum as much as I did. You can learn more about Volo Auto Museum at http://www.volocars.com.

-Anthony


[+/-] click to show/hide this post

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home