Read our Lake County, IL Blogs

Tuesday, December 22, 2009
It’s Like Stepping Back in Time – Long Grove at Christmas

If you want traditional holiday charm, there is no need to go any further than Long Grove at Christmas time! You’ll find fantastic shopping and activities for the whole family. It is an opportunity to SLOW DOWN and enjoy the season.


And don’t think that because it is December 22nd, the festivities are over…not so! Activities continue through the end of the year.


I walked around the village on the 13th and really began to get in the spirit of Christmas. I was excited to see that there were carolers right outside the Long Grove Apple Haus. They were dressed in full “Dickens” garb. I grabbed a cup of hot cider and sat down to listen. It was really fun to see people of all ages stop and begin singing along.


I moved from one thing that warmed my heart to another. I just love a horse-drawn carriage ride. My husband and I were married in Long Grove and took a ride on our wedding night. The memories came flooding back as we sauntered around the shops. It was quite cozy under that warm blanket!


After warming up with hot cider, Christmas carols and a carriage ride under a warm blanket, I was ready to shop! But where should I begin??? There are so many unique shops all around town. I try to make time for as many as I can!


I love the homemade chocolate candies as well as the chocolate dipped strawberries. After walking out of there, I could have died a happy woman!


The next stop was The Olive Tap. It is a must-see for me when I get to Long Grove. Where else can you enjoy a Tasting Emporium AND Gourmet Market! It is always hard to choose which olive oil and balsamic vinegar I MUST take home!


There were quite a few little “home” type gifts on my list to buy this year so I ran into Mangels and found everything I needed! The selection is amazing; from Mark Robert Fairies to home accessories, to the most beautiful Christmas tree decorations you’ll find. I wish I could buy complete rooms and just “install” them in my home. Love it!


Seasons of Long Grove has had quite a few activities for young and old alike. The Nutcracker Tea runs through the 27th. You may bring your own hat or borrow one from their collection. The Santa’s Breakfast ran through the 20th and all children received a special gift (whether they were naughty or nice). And finally, this past weekend was the Dickens Dinner, with Victorian Buffet and live music from their Christmas Carolers.

Check out the Long Grove website www.longgroveonline.com. You’ll see all of the scheduled events through the end of the year AND you can check out the festivals that go on throughout the year. I can’t wait until they have their 2010 dates. I need to mark my calendar early!

[+/-] click to show/hide this post

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is rather interesting for me to read that blog. Thank author for it. I like such topics and everything that is connected to them. I definitely want to read a bit more soon.

December 28, 2009 at 4:03 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home