Read our Lake County, IL Blogs

Tuesday, November 10, 2009
Hairspray rocks at the Marriott Theatre! by: Jayne Nordstrom
This is the best show I’ve seen at the Marriott Theatre besides Les Miz! I had only seen the more recent film version on TV and now wondered why I had waited so long to see it live. I laughed. I cried during “I Know Where I’ve Been” and honestly, I could hardly sit still in my seat – the music was so much fun and the dancing was inspiring. I was kind of wishing it was a sing-a-long version and we’d all get up and dance and sing like Mamma Mia. Songs such as “Welcome to the 60’s” and “You Can’t Stop the Beat” are so much fun; hubby, Steve really liked it too!
We were discussing on the way back to the car that it wasn’t that long ago (in my lifetime) that issues such as integration were a struggle in our nation. This show offers great discussion afterwards besides the tunes continuing to run through your head. Ross Lehman was great as Edna Turnblad and it was fun to hear the young girls behind me at intermission talking about that they figured out he was a man. Ross will be playing Tevye in Marriott Theatre’s upcoming Fiddler on the Roof in February 2010. It was cool to see some favorite performers such as Bernie Yvon (he was the Pharaoh in Joseph…) playing Corny Collins and he will be Harold Hill in Marriott Theatre’s upcoming The Music Man at the end of next season. I like that I’m watching some of these actors every few months.

Every year when our renewal comes up for our Marriott Theatre subscription, we wonder if we should budget for it again. However, it’s a great value basically getting one ticket free with each subscription for the year. It’s close to home, no cost for parking and we see awesome (and sometimes familiar) talent. And I get 20% off in the gift shop and it’s an awesome gift shop!

[+/-] click to show/hide this post

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home