Read our Lake County, IL Blogs

Tuesday, August 25, 2009
Boats Coming Out of the Water Soon? Is the Fall Breeze Around the Corner? There is Still Time to Enjoy the View!
I drove down my street the other day and saw the first leaf changing for the season. Really? A green leaf on a tree had turned to red already? All of my friends have started talking about their kids starting preschool. Really? Back to school so soon? I started missing summer already!

As I drove east on Liberty Street in Wauconda, sad that the summer was passing quickly, sad that I would soon see boats being pulled from the local lakes, my husband and I decided to pull into Docks Bar and Grill on Bangs Lake. Wow – did that do the trick! It’s like preserving a piece of summer!

I walked up the long ramp to the outdoor seating area (Docks on the Rocks) to a 6600 square foot deck – dressed in Tiki Bar motif…palm trees included! Their motto is “Come for the Food, Stay for the View”. It was wonderful! I felt like I was on vacation and it was 9 minutes from my home!

We started dinner with the calamari and crab cakes (to go with the whole island theme) and they were quite tasty! I LOVED the Apple Pear Walnut Salad on the menu; apples, pears, baby mixed greens with bleu cheese, cranberries and candied walnuts, all drizzled with raspberry vinaigrette. Hmmm, just writing about it makes me want to go back again.

Did I tell you about the view? The deck has a panoramic view overlooking Bangs Lake. It was incredible. We actually changed seats after dinner to go to a barstool on the lake side and continued to enjoy the second half of the evening.

If the view and the food aren’t enough to entice you (Huh? I don’t get that…), then let’s talk entertainment. There is live entertainment on Friday and Saturday in the bar and Saturday and Sunday on Docks on the Rocks. This weekend’s bands include: The MIX, TRIAD and Beach Bums, ranging from 90’s dance music to Carribean rock, Reggae and Calypso. Again I say…NO…summer is not going anywhere!

One upcoming event deserves mention, One Swingin’ Night – September 19th. From their press release, “Critics claim “One Swingin’ Night,” performed by The Chicago Rat Pack, is as close as any person could come to experiencing the original Rat Pack. A show that Must Be Seen!” Jack D’Amico (as Frank), Lawrence Evening (as Sammy) and Tony Ocean (as Dean) will perform a reproduction of the 1965 Villa Venice Show.

Italian Buffet with dessert begins the evening at 7pm. Frank Pisani “The Man of a 1000 Voices” performs at 8pm and One Swingin’ Night begins at 9p. Reservations are required so don’t delay.

If you need to hold on to a little bit of summer, or just feel like you are enjoying a vacation, head on over to the view on Bangs Lake – Docks Bar & Grill. I wish I could say to tell them Judi sent you, but they don’t know me…yet. I’ll be back! See www.docksbarandgrill.com for more details.

[+/-] click to show/hide this post

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home