Read our Lake County, IL Blogs

Tuesday, July 21, 2009
Antioch’s Taste of Summer Festival

Sunday was the perfect weather to be out at Antioch’s Taste of Summer Festival. It was sunny with a few threats of rain; however no drops hit us…simply perfect.


And how could I make perfection just get better? I will spell it out…f-u-n-n-e-l c-a-k-e. I haven’t had a funnel cake in years. We walked in the carnival area, just north of the band shelter and I saw it. The funnel cake stand. Sure they had other things like Elephant Ears and that awesome lemonade; however I bee-lined for the funnel cake. Thankfully, I was wearing a pink shirt so that powdered sugar wasn’t a nuisance when it sprinkled everywhere!


On to more tasty treats. We walked up and down the “Taste” booths and couldn’t decide. Did we want turkey wraps, BBQ ribs, Egg rolls, Dairy Queen Blizzards, hamburgers, hot dogs, etc. etc. etc! You know…for the sake of this blog, I HAD to try something. And then I HAD to taste some of my husband’s food too! The sesame chicken and BBQ ribs (off-the-bone) were quite yummy!


Chiquita was even there blending up banana smoothies for those that wanted to try. They even had some fun costumes for the lil bananas in the crowd. Too cute!


There were carnival rides galore. Anything from twirling in circles, flying like Superman to bumper cars and spinning dragons. There was a ride suited for everyone!


American English, a Beatles cover band, was playing while we were enjoying ourselves. We took a few minutes to sit and enjoy the weather, the yummy food and good music! We saw many friends meeting up and families gathering around on picnic blankets. It was just wonderful.


There was a sidewalk sale in the downtown Antioch area. Many stores put their items out on the sidewalk to capture the foot traffic. There were even a couple of stores that opened especially for the event. (Thank you Rustique for opening - you are my favorite little store!)


Parking was within a block, so we were able walk off some of the yummy bites we had earlier. (I must admit that I purchased a strawberry cheesecake Blizzard for the road. Mmmmmm good!

I almost forgot…Antioch is bustling with activities on Thursdays during the summer. The farmers market begins at 3:00pm – 7:00pm. Then you can run over for the “It’s Thursday” concert series from 7:30pm – 9:00pm. We are definitely planning on heading back!

[+/-] click to show/hide this post

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home