Read our Lake County, IL Blogs

Friday, December 10, 2010
Walking in a Winter Wonderland...Express
We are a family that doesn't spend too much time at home. It's not that we don't like to be. I think it's because I was raised by entrepreneur parents, like myself, who were always on the go. My parents' philosophy was to expose their children to as many experiences and places as possible, and I seem to have adopted that practice because when I find out about a new place to visit, I make it a point to go there.

When a close friend of mine posted her plans to visit the Wonderland Express, a 10,000-square-foot exhibit featuring miniature trains and more than 80 mini-replicas of Chicago's favorite landmarks now at the Chicago Botanic Garden, I was determined to visit and soon. I was delighted to find out that now through December 21st, admission to the exhibit is free on Tuesdays. After a visit to my local library to pick up a free Museum Adventure Pass, granting me free admission to the Gardens which includes free parking, my Tuesday morning excursion would be free. (for participating libraries and museums, click here) How can you pass up free, right?

I called up another girlfriend and insisted she meet me there with her kids. I forgot to ask her what she thought of it, but I think it's safe to say that we all had a lovely morning. We met at the Garden Cafe, shared a delicious croissant sandwich, and embarked on our journey to the Regenstein Center, just a short walk from the main entrance where the friendly Garden employees directed us past the green houses to the exhibit entrance. We were greeted by a delicious-looking Gingerbread town, complete with circling train, which made me anxious to see more.

Through a short corridor, blanketed with potted poinsettias, we enter the Wonderland. True to its name, I was amazed by the festive atmosphere accomplished by the talented artists who spent hundreds of labor-intensive hours creating this masterpiece, designed by Paul Busse, designer of the Model Railroad Garden. It reminded me of an ethereal land that I had imagined as a child when reading books featuring fairies and their woodland homes. In fact, it smelled like the forest with its beautiful backdrop of bark-lined walls, mini evergreen trees and hundreds of species of plants peppering the scenery. It was thrilling to identify all the different Chicago Landmarks nestled among the gorgeous greenery, waterfalls, and trains, of course. I am not a train enthusiast, but even my two year-old daughter and four year-old son appreciated the circling trains, and when the faux snow began to sprinkle and twinkle in the spot lights, it was magical.At the end of the exhibit, we had the option to view a movie explaining the making of the exhibit and to make a drop-in craft. We opted to create the craft with our restless little ones, tree "jewelry" which was really a mini bird-feeder with dried cranberries and bird seed, but I'm sure the movie would have been interesting.
I was very pleased to see that Wonderland Express at Chicago Botanic Gardens exceeded my expectations. My girlfriend even commented, "You think of the best places to take the kids to." I think that says it all.


Written by Eva Harrison, contributor at Little Lake County

Labels: ,


[+/-] click to show/hide this post

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home